Announcement

Collapse

Forum Email

If you are not getting emails from the forum, please check your spam folder and mark the email as safe. Because this is a new domain, most email companies like Google, Hotmail don't recognize the domain yet.
See more
See less

Change Your Serpentine Belt 3.8 V-6 (VIN K )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change Your Serpentine Belt 3.8 V-6 (VIN K )

I'm hoping this may help others better understand what is involved in changing a serpentine belt Vin K, non supercharged.
    Lets put it this way, you don't want it to go ker snap on the side of the road, so change it every 60 K miles may be the best idea!
    I would assume most belts today are EPDM quality, could run 70-90k, but I like to change them well before then.
    Inspect your belt for wear & cracks. If it is looking worn-replace it !
    Here is some info about the belt you may require..

The belt routing may not appear as an under the hood sticker, I manged to locate it in the owners manual.

This serpentine belt replacement is not as easy as you may think.
    It requires a oil pan jack support & then removal of an engine mount bracket to remove the belt & then install new belt, & again replace the engine mount bracket.

Here is a photo of it's location.

Last edited by Buick Ride; 10-27-2020, 11:33 PM.

A few additional Comments:
    It is recommend that both battery terminals be removed for safety reasons.
    Block the vehicle on a level surface, so it cant roll forward or backwards.
    Regarding the floor jack: Blocks of wood to be wider than the oil pan itself.
    You have to be careful not to damage oil pan. You only want to support it, only apply light pressure to the pan.
    If this is something you do not want to attempt yourself, take it to a familiar professional.
    Also:

Comment

Good write up sir. Keep em coming.
      2002 Chevrolet S-10 350 V8

Comment

Ouch, no way man.

Unless you have to do it that way on something besides a 1990s H-body for some reason.

On mine:

1. Take off nut
        2. Remove stud
        3. Remove spacer

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bracket.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	581

The spacer fits in there exactly. I can be gently tapped out with a hammer or wrench etc. if needed, but usually can be pushed out by hand. I always leave the other mounting points alone. Putting it back in is slightly more difficult. Sometimes it will go back in fairly easily. Most of the time when it doesn't, I just grab a (usually crescent) wrench on the bracket right by the lower boss and apply a little outward pressure. Just enough to create a hair more clearance. Slip the spacer back in and put it back together. Done!
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X