Announcement

Collapse

Forum Email

If you are not getting emails from the forum, please check your spam folder and mark the email as safe. Because this is a new domain, most email companies like Google, Hotmail don't recognize the domain yet.
See more
See less

Winter Washer Fluids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Washer Fluids

I wish I lived in Arizona..
    For those that are not so lucky & now preparing for old man winter...
    It is time to carry a good windshield scraper & convert to Winter Washer Fluids & possible additives.
    Find a good -40c washer fluid.
    If you find that still freezes (including spray nozzles)...
    You can add some Isopropyl Alcohol or Prestone has a De-Icer with a dirt blocker.

I try to let the vehicle warm up for 5 minutes, before driving away.
    Last edited by Buick Ride; 11-14-2020, 02:47 PM.

Everclear in the washer tank helps too.

195 proof, 90% corn grain alcohol.

EDIT:
    My bad, its 190 proof, 95% corn grain alcohol.
    Last edited by Mike; 11-15-2020, 08:44 AM.
    2002 Chevrolet S-10 350 V8

Comment

Wow That Everclear freezing point is -173.2 F Isopropyl alchol is -128.2 F

Comment

And to think it is made for human consumption...

Click image for larger version

Name:	800px-EverclearHiRes.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	706
        2002 Chevrolet S-10 350 V8

Comment

I remember moving from where the "Winter Formula" was down to zero degrees Fahrenheit to where it is -20F at Walmart. I've never had it freeze, even at -30, but now, thanks to this, I'll know what to do if it gets colder and does give me a problem.

The first time I ran into frozen washer fluid, I had just come out of the West side of the Eisenhower Tunnel in my truck, on my first trip back from where I was moving to. Slimy Magnesium Chloride and dirt and snow and who knows what else. I twisted the stalk for some spray and nothing . . . except the dissatisfying smearing of goo across the windshield. I could hear the pump running, so I assumed that twenty years was enough and a hose came undone or something.

Since I only had a small streak of visibility and no spray, I pulled over. I turned the defroster on high and hot, got out, grabbed a handful of snow, and wiped most of the goo away. At first I planned to just stop every so often and do this again as needed. As I pulled back into traffic I realized that the goo came from somewhere, primarily the spray behind semi trucks. Why don't I just hang close behind them until I get into warmer air?

I stayed about three seconds behind one the whole way down, and it worked perfectly. Did the same on Vail pass.

Sprayers thawed somewhere before Glenwood Springs and then a quick stop in Rifle at the Walmart to get some super-duper winter formula washer fluid and what do I find? Super-duper winter formula was there, but also my normal Winter Formula, except in the high country it's rated for -20F !

Very clever, The Walmart!

I bought four gallons.

Comment

Working...
          X